Junior Astro Challenge 2020
This is the 2020 BAAO Junior Astro Challenge 2020 for Year 10 (Group A) and Year 9 (Group B) and Year 11 (Group C). It consists of 2 × 25 minute sets of 30 questions.
- . To login, first click Student or School (for teachers) at the top right of the page (the url changes), or it will show if you are already logged in.
- . Close other browser windows. Do NOT use the internet
- . This is primarily for Year 10: to enter other age groups, please tell your students to select the following groups
- . Year 10 - Group A Year 9 - Group B Year 11 - Group C
Other competitions at GCSE, AS and the upper sixth form year are available at www.BPhO.org.uk. Free online resources can be found there.
Note to Students
This is not an exam. It is a Quiz. Some answers you may think you do not know, but they may be worked out by a process of elimination, looking for clues.
The BAAO Junior Astro competition is designed to engage and challenge students of all abilities by offering you a range of questions about astronomy and current space age exploration. The questions are about knowledge of the Solar System and observation of the night sky. Practical observation is a key part of astronomy and you should have some idea of the motion of the stars and planets. You will be able to gain more marks if they have some general knowledge of the subject through reading newspapers, magazines and books, listenening to the news, and by particpating in observation activities. i.e. go outside and view the night sky.
The key aim is that you should enjoy taking part and are encouraged to do more astronomy and broaden your interests. You do not need to cover technical topics. Some general knowledge and everyday interest in astronomy, or even some acquaintance with the GCSE in Astronomy which is available, would be an advantage.
- You may NOT use the internet whilst answering these question
- Please type in your name correctly after you have logged in and REMEMBER THE PASSWORD YOU CHOOSE
Calculators may be used. Paper and pencil may be needed to work out some answers.